Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stolen shamelessly from Danielle

Conversations I had with my characters when piecing the next few chapters together:

Me: Outlining is difficult when you only have a handful of characters.
Terri: I'll gladly be in every single scene.
Julia: Me too! I have figured out a few new ways to whine and cry and think about what a pathetic slut I am. I'm sure that's good for a few pages, no?
Me: Oh my gosh, no. No. No, no, no.
Terri: But I've yet to milk this melodrama for all that it's worth. It's been a good twenty chapters since I last cried until my fake lashes came off. I think I'm totally ready to try that again.
Julia: Hey, that's an idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Terri: Because you're not me.
Me: You two are both pretty much interchangeable to me at this point...and that's really not a good thing. So yeah. Let me just focus on someone else here...

Evan: Are you really gonna make me interact with...people? Really?
Me: Ty said you needed to.
Evan: And I care why...?
Me: Because Ty said so, and Ty is one of my very best commenters, so there.
Evan: ...
Me: And if you do, I'll tell you where Marnie hid the pictures.
Evan: You got yourself a deal.

Lucas: Hey, what about me?
Me: What about you?
Lucas: Am I even in this arc?
Me: Of course you are. You were in Chapter 21. See? That totally qualifies as an appearance.
Lucas: ...
Me: What? It does?
Lucas: Well, I'm just saying...you're whining about not having enough characters and I'm like...you know...MIA.
Me: Um...Ty's sick of you?
Lucas: Who the fuck is Ty?
Me: Never mind that. Just go...be.
Lucas: Right, so that's a no. Gotcha.

Me: And, um, Shane...?
Shane: I know. I already know. I get to stand around with my hands in my pockets and watch Goldman get all my glory and do my job and silently seethe and brood and plan how I'm going to come out on top in the end, though I really don't have a chance in hell at this point.
Me: Well...yes. But try to do it with a bottle in your hand.
Shane: Right. I'm on it.

Jeff: Hey so...I hate to bother you when you're busy creating and stuff, but...I sort of...I don't really...I don't like the third chart.
Me: I didn't think you would.
Jeff: To be honest with you, I don't really like anything about where this is going.
Me: Yeah, I didn't think you would.
Jeff: Come on, baby. Can't we talk about this? I - I just don't think this is...uh, I don't think this is a good idea at all.
Me: Oh for God's sake, don't look at me like that.
Jeff: Baby...
Me: Please stop looking at me like that.
Jeff: Baby...
Me: NO! I am not doing that damn thing again! Do you know how long it takes?
Jeff: Baby...
Me: Oh for God's sake...screw outlining. I'm off to edit the chart. Again.

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Bex! Especially Evan. I hate interacting with people, too. I get him. Oh and Shane. I miss Shane. He does stand there looking good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane wins the award for "standing around and looking good, all whilst silently brooding." I miss Shane too. Loves me some Shane, as you know.

    ReplyDelete