Sunday, September 19, 2010

For Couples: The Do's Do Not Do's of Engagement Rings

A few posts ago, I revealed that I am now an engaged woman. The picture in the post was the prototype ring that we used to base my real ring on, as seen to the right. This ring attracts a lot of attention, and with good reason - the pictures just don't do it justice. It's breathtaking!

With what I've learned through this process, as well as what I've gathered from other women's stories, I thought I would put together a list of the dos and donts of engagement ring buying.

Do:
Pick it out yourself, ladies!

This is so very important. God willing, this is a ring you're going to wear every single day for the rest of your life. You have got to make sure it's something you like. And sure, you say that any ring he picks out for you will be beautiful, but have you seen some of the things guys tend to pick out? Really...do it yourself. You'll be happy that you did.

Don't:
Be afraid to look at diamond alternatives!

I admit, I was raised by a lady who loves huge, flashy jewelry and the love of that has been passed along to me. I used to daydream about the day I would have an engagement ring of my very own, and more often than not, I fantasized about a rock bigger than my fist. Needless to say, that's going to end up being a little on the costly side...which is why when it came time to get mine, I was adamant that it not be a diamond. We went with a lannyte, which you can google for all the juicy details. My center stone is a 3 carat, and the ring is everything I've ever dreamed of, but at a fraction of the cost. Don't worry that others might know your secret - no one's been able to tell that mine is not real, and I can testify to the fact that it's incredibly hard to distinguish. Save that money, guys - you'll need it for the honeymoon!

Do:
Express yourself!

Some girls don't like the standard diamond. Princess Diana's engagement ring was a sapphire. Even my beloved Sharon Tate's (purported) engagement ring was an opal. If you want something out of the ordinary, don't be bound by tradition! Also remember that gemstone engagement rings are much less expensive than their diamond counterparts, and they can also be more coy, if you'd like to try and keep your engagement under wraps.

Don't:
Go with the first thing you find!

Shop around. Go to every jeweler that you can find. Ask them if they do custom work. Let them know what you have in mind, and see how much that would cost. Some will give you better prices than others...it's best to find the price that works for you, without compromising the style that you want. It might be a bit of leg work, but the result will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment