Wednesday, May 26, 2010

So what is the point?

Note: I am not writing this for a pat on the back or anything like that...it's just the way I'm feeling at the moment.

I am a writer with no real ambition. Contrary to the popular belief that we're all on a quest to be published novelists, I am not. I publish everything I write on a website. I don't charge anybody anything, I don't submit things to be published - I am happy with my meager means. Many would believe this hardly makes me a writer at all, because I am nobody if I am not published or paid for it, but I rather like what I have going.

But recently, more than one person has kind of thrown the "being published makes you someone" thing back at me. I'm not certain that one person meant it the way it necessarily came out - I doubt he'd be that much of an ass - but the other one said it as some kind of a jab. That person, btw, is a complete douchebag and he's quite lucky I'm a lady or I'd go straight to his house and key his car or something.

But you know...I'm a suggestive soul. You tell me something enough and I start to believe it. I start to say, "you know what? What is the damn point here?" I write because I like to write. I write because I love these damn characters and I love this story. I write because...well, that about sums it up. Am I nothing? Am I untalented? Am I a joke because I am not a published author? Maybe I am.

This post has little point except to say that I'm really down on myself right now & I'm really pissed at people. I'm a writer and I happen to be a good one (better than many others I've seen, for sure)...but being that I'm not getting paid for it and have no publishing credits to my name, I am basically useless.

Nice, huh?

8 comments:

  1. You are NOT useless. You are NOT pointless. I "suggest" that you remember why you started writing and posting to begin with: because you love doing it. And we love you for doing it. Here's a heaping dose of huggles and some chocolates. And if you like, I have a lot of keys and a ninja outfit. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I think a lot of writers have this riding on their backs in the "beginning." Somewhere along the way, whether it's 3 days in or 3 years in, most writers decide to try to go the published route.

    I think the question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you want to be a professional writer (paid and published) or just someone who writes for a hobby? If you are a hobby writer, you can TELL the rude people that. Maybe they'll back off? However, I do think you have to be one or the other, eventually.

    Is there something you are worried about? Becoming published, I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, thank you. I may take you up on that key/ninja outfit thing.

    Natalie, no, it's not really. I would like to make a living as a paid writer, just like I'd like to make a living being a rock star...but I am realistic and I realize it's difficult to actually make that happen. I still write (just like I still sing and write songs) but I've made my peace with the fact I will probably never make a living off of them.

    The one whose car I want to key couldn't understand the concept of a hobby writer even if I'd tried explaining it to him...I'm just glad he's out of my life. The look down your nose at others attitude really irks me, especially when coming from someone who's hardly got a pot to piss in himself.

    I get emo sometimes, because I start believing the hype, but truly...I like what I have chosen to do. I just need to ignore these stupid, mean spirited people, which is easier said than done.

    Thanks for the responses, ladies. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are published - you are published on the web - what's wrong with that? It saves trees. That's a good thing isn't it?

    Being published on the web means that you have full control over your work - right? You call the shots - you're nobody's puppet.

    Being published on the web means you have direct contact with your readers. How many deadtree writers can say the same thing?

    Being published on the web means you "where it's at man" and the time it's happening. You're ahead of your time - right?

    Soooo - you don't get paid mega bucks for writing? 99% of deadtree writers are in the same boat.

    So the problem is not you or your writing, the problem is that your friend's a muppet x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Milady...you always make me feel better. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with those who have commented. You *are* published! So phfffth to whom ever took a jab at you!

    BTW, your story is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shree, thank you! My current attitude is that of Pink: "So what? I'm still a rock star!"

    I don't need the punks. Screw em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a writer. Screw anyone who doesn't think so.

    Your goals as a writer are your own. If you want to keep doing it the way you are, then do it. There's nothing wrong with it, just with the people who think it's wrong that's what your goals are.

    ReplyDelete